I worked in a health-food cafe in central London for my first two years of university, so you better believe that I've heard every pronunciation of acai you could possibly imagine.
One man actually asked for an'a-kay-say' bowl which led to a 15 minute conversation of hand gestures and saved instagram photos until we reached a mutual understanding. I then had to tell him we didn't sell it. Peak times.
However, my recent jaunts to Australia have ignited the acai-fire (if you pronounce that correctly, it should rhyme) like no other. Whilst I will not disclose how many aussie dollars I spent on acai bowls, I will share my make-do version now that I'm back in London.
VEGAN + PALEO ACAI BOWLS
- 1/2 frozen avocado
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (or almond)
- Toppings: Homemade gluten-free, grain-free cinnamon buckinis and coconut flakes.
Other topping suggestions: paleo granola, chia pudding, goji berries, banana, cacao nibs, peanut butter, almond butter, sunbutter, cinnamon.
- Run acai sachet under warm water and break up frozen sachet into smaller chunks.
- Place all ingredients (except ice) into the blender. Whizz on high until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Add ice and blend again.
- Pour into your favourite bowl / jar and get to topping! In my book, the more the better and the better, the MORE!