Vegan Blackberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars
If you follow Dani Nemeh on Instagram, you'll know she's a kickass, mile-wide grin, BOSS-lady kinda mommy. She also makes food that makes you wish you could reach into the screen and grab it with both hands. Her vegan cheesecake bars are no different! Dani uses a bag of Purely Elizabeth granola for the base but seeing as the UK is yet to experience that brand of grain-free magic, I opted to make some maple-almond butter granola instead. I'm sure any regular / store-bought granola would work out fine as well!
Huge thanks to my baby brother for having a birthday which meant I HAD to make these as a matter of principal and being a good sister. And yes, eating half the batch was also in the purview.
Vegan | Real Ingredients | No Refined Sugar / Dairy | Optional Gluten Free
**Important: Cashews (for the cheesecake filling) will need to be soaked for at least 3 hours before starting the recipe!
To Soak: Place 1.5 cups dry cashews in a large bowl and cover with 4-5 cups cold water. Cover with a clean cloth and allow to sit. Cashews will swell during soaking process.
Maple Almond Butter Granola Base
- 1/2 cup Coconut Chips/Flakes
- 2 cup Jumbo Oats
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Dash Sea-Salt
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- 1/3 cup Almond Butter (or any nut butter)
- 2 tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Raw Cacao Nibs (Optional)
- 1/4 cup Chopped Dry Cashews (Optional)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Blackberries
- Juice of Lemon (1)
- 1.5 cup Cashews (Soaked)
- 1/3 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Notes: Jumbo Oats can be subbed for gluten-free oats or regular rolled oats
If using store bought granola start at Step 8. Add 1/3 cup coconut oil to the blender to make sure it blends smoothly.
If making homemade granola the residual heat from the baking process normally means it'll blend fine without coconut oil but add in if the mixture is too crumbly/not smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients (oats, coconut chips, chia seeds, cacao nibs (optional), chopped cashews (optional), cinnamon, sea-salt) and mix together well.
- In a saucepan over a low-medium heat, mix all wet ingredients (maple syrup, almond butter, coconut oil) together until liquid is runny and smooth.
- Once melted pour liquid wet ingredients into the bowl of mixed dry ingredients and stir together well until all covered and combined.
- Transfer combined wet and dry ingredients onto a lined baking tray and spread out evenly.
- Bake at a medium heat (150°C) for approx. 10-15 minutes or until nicely browned. Be sure to keep an eye on it, there's about 4 seconds between delicious and burnt to a crisp!)
- Shuffle granola around during baking to ensure even toasting.
- Once nicely browned allow granola to cool out of the oven for 10 mins.
- Place cooled / slightly warm granola into a blender and pulse until smooth. (If too crumbly add coconut oil into the blender until the granola mixture runs smoothly).
- Pour runny base into 8x8 baking tin and distribute evenly. Set aside.
- Rinse blender
- Place all cheesecake filling ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. (Add more blackberries/lemon to your own personal taste).
- Pour cheesecake mix on top of granola base.
- Freeze for minimum 3 hours.
- Cut into little squares and enjoy!
Keep in the freezer for whenever you fancy an all-natural, sweet vegan treat!